Monday 15 November 2010

This week ...

For my very first blog, I thought it was poignant to point out that this week plays part in the development of exciting times in Film and Television.



It is integral to mention that 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part One of the Epic Finale', is released in the United Kingdom on Friday 19th November. I personally, as well as I am sure many others, have been waiting for this movie phenomenon to be released since the publication of J.K.Rowling's final installment of the amazing book series which has taken the world by storm. In my opinion, the adventures of witchcraft and wizardry surrounding the infamous protagonist 'Harry Potter', is by far one of the most imaginative and enthralling novel series that has ever been written. I know this is a very biased opinion, as it is clearly apparent that I, myself, am a die-hard fan of the books, but still, I cannot wait to see how David Yates puts Rowling's mesmerising words on to the big screen!




This week has also brought the return of 'Misfits'. If I am completely honest, I rewatched all of series one whilst eagerly awaiting the first episode of the second series. Not disappointing its audience, John Hughes (also notably the director of 'The Breakfast Club') brought back the five young offenders, who in a storm all discover that they have developed supernatural powers. The first series ended on a cliffhanger, with Nathan finally realising that he has a power, he is immortal, and he is buried alive!
Similarly to 'Skins', each episode in the series pays specific attention to one member of the group, this concept has not seemed to change with the arrival of the eerie Lucy who was an inmate at the psychiatric unit that Simon was placed in. Her developing obsession with Simon leads Lucy, whose power is to shape-shift,
on a mission to make him confess to the murder of the two previous social workers of the group, which ultimately would place him back into the same unit at her, so they will be reunited; an element of romance some would say? (- Note the sarcastic tone of my typing!)
The spectator is immediately introduced to the whirlwind of mystery that is entwined within the plot from the arrival of the ninja-like-superhero who watches the young offenders from the outskirts and even saves Curtis.
I am trying exceptionally hard not to ruin the plot for those of you who have not seen the show, (which somehow I think I have dramatically failed at), but I genuinely think that it is one of the most captivating series on television at the moment, with the clever amalgamation of comedy, absurdity, and horror, 'Misfits', in my opinion, is certainly not one to miss!




Finally, this week has seen the return of 'I'm a Celebrity, Get me out of Here!' I know that everyone has their own thoughts on reality television, but in my opinion, like Marmite, you either love it or you hate it! I must confess, embarrassingly, that I am a lover of such programmes; Big Brother, Dancing on Ice, XFactor, Britain's Got Talent, American Idol ... The list could indeed go on.
There's nothing better than seeing anyone squirming whilst performing tasks with spiders and rats crawling all over them, or even eating the likes of "Kangaroo Penis"; but what better than seeing celebrities tackle such things? - It is day two and tasks as such have already been successfully attempted by this years contestants XFactor Finalist Stacey Solomon, Singer Aggro Santos, and MP Lembit Opik.
Joining them in the jungle are "You Are What You Eat"'s dietitian Gillian McKeith, Playmate Kayla Collins, Athlete Linford Christie, BAFTA-nominated Actor Nigel Havers, 'Happy Mondays' Singer Shaun Ryder, Sheryl Gascoigne, and Former Bond-Girl Britt Ekland.
With drama and tension already displayed at such an early stage, 'I'm a Celebrity 2010' is set to be one of the most exciting series yet.
I already have a favourite!

No comments:

Post a Comment